Black Tea-Port Milk Punch is the featured beverage on our upcoming episode, Ep20 Paddy LuPony. This is a clarified milk punch and it was so much fun to make, and share with other people. The flavor of this is simply unbelievable. As I said on the episode, I finally understand what the word “unctuous” means!
1 cup whole milk
2 cups brewed black tea (we used English Breakfast for the episode, but Earl Grey is extremely delicious)
2/3 cup Batavia Arrack (or light rum)
2/3 cup ruby port
1/3 cup plus 4 teaspoons sugar
1/3 cup lemon juice
1. Place milk in 8-cup liquid measuring cup or large pitcher/bowl; set aside. In 4-cup liquid measuring cup or large bowl, whisk tea, Batavia Arrack, port, sugar, and lemon juice until sugar dissolves.
2. Pour tea mixture into milk (it’s very important to pour the punch mixture into the milk, and not vice versa). Gently stir curds with small spoon. Let sit for at least 30 minutes or cover and refrigerate for up to 24 hours.
3. Line fine-mesh strainer with cheese cloth and set over large measuring cup or bowl. Gently pour tea-milk mixture into cheese cloth and let drain. Drain strained punch mixture through curds in at least once more. Discard curds and cheese cloth.
4. Filter punch one more time through a clean coffee filter. This step takes a while. Try not to rush it!
5. Transfer clarified punch to lidded glass container and refrigerate until ready to serve. To serve, pour chilled punch into small glass with one large ice cube.