Eggnog is the featured drink for episode 18 “Anyone Can Lactate”. This episode is all about the history of, you guessed it, eggnog! Eggnog is a controversial beverage that people seem to either love or hate. If you’ve only ever had store bought nog, and thought “that’s not for me”, give this recipe a try! It’s light, fluffy, and just sweet enough.
We chose to not cook this eggnog, as it’s kind of a pain, and in my opinion, not really necessary. Recipe adapted from Alton Brown.
4 egg yolks
1/3 c. sugar, plus one tablespoon
1 pint whole mike
1 c. heavy cream
3 oz. rum (We used Pusser’s)
1 tsp. vanilla extract (plus more to taste)
1 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
4 egg whites
1. In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the eggs yolks until they lighten in color.
2. Gradually ass the 1/3 cup sugar (you can add a couple tablespoons more if you prefer sweeter nog) and continue to bear until it is completely dissolved.
3. Add the milk, cream, extract, rum, and nutmeg and stir to combine. Set aside.
4. Place the eggs white int he bowl of a stand mixer and beat to soft peaks (if using the same bowl and mixer, be sure to clean them completely before adding egg whites). With the mixer still running gradually add the 1 tablespoon of sugar and beat until stiff peaks form.
5. Whisk the egg white mixture into the yolk mixture. Chill and serve.
Enjoy and Happy Holidays!